Come along with your sewing machine and join me and a group of like-minded stitchers and sew up the mysteries of free Machine Embroidery.
Bring along a drawing, picture or a photograph that inspires you, and using a sumptuous array of threads in a variety of colours and thicknesses, and working with your own sewing machine, you will learn how to translate your original design into your very own picture of stitches, jewellery item or embroidery piece.
Students will be guided through all aspects of creating a design, placing imagery, incorporating a background and a fore ground into their design and how to finish and present their work to its full and deserved potential.
The workshop is designed for the novice or the more confident stitcher who wishes to explore the numerous techniques and textures created by threads and stitch, not to mention the delight of sewing and working with colour to create pictorial machine embroidery.
Linda Miller BA Hons. has been a professional embroiderer since she graduated from Winchester school of art in 1988.
Her work is successfully exhibited throughout the UK Europe and the USA.
She has pieces held in public and private collections such as those of the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Arts Council South East.
Her book entitled “Creative Machine Embroidery” was published by A&C Black and she has appeared on Kirsty Allsop’s television program “Kirsty’s Handmade Britain”. Linda regularly holds workshops and gives slide talks and lectures for Adults, Children and Community groups; she enjoys sharing her enthusiasm for textiles and her love for Machine Embroidery.
The class runs from 10.00am - 4.00pm
What you need to bring:
* An Electric sewing machine, in good working order which can drop the dog feed teeth or has a plate that fits over the teeth. If possible please bring your sewing machine manual and accessories (oil, screwdriver, etc.). If you would like to use one of the Eternal Maker machines please do let us know in advance so we can ready it for you.
* A darning foot/free motion machine embroidery foot that is compatible with your machine. We have a limited amount that can be borrowed on the day but please let us know in advance.
* Size 80 needles.
* Hand sewing needles.
* Calico, medium/ heavy weight. (Approx. 50cm/half a yard)
* Note book and pen, pencil, paper, ruler.
* 8”/20cm wooden embroidery hoop.
* Embroidery/sharp scissors.
* Any threads you have, machine embroidery thread or ordinary dress making thread.
* All bobbin spools that are compatible with your sewing machine.
* Any hand embroidery threads you have.
* Stitch and Tear- stabilising fabric.
* Reference materials such as: pictures, drawings, books, photographs, patterning- visual material that interests you.
It is very important that your machine is in good working order and that the feed dog teeth can be dropped, or that a plate can be fitted over the teeth and that you have a free motion machine embroidery foot/free motion darning foot that is compatible with your sewing machine and fits correctly. Please bring all your sewing machine tools and the sewing machine manual.
Please bring as much as you can from the equipment list, if however you do not have any of the list, items can be purchased at a small cost.